Be both the student and the teacher! Global Gateways and ITESO University (Guadlajara, Mexico) are offering a FREE semester long virtual cultural and language exchange program. Cultural Buddies is designed for college students in American institutions of higher learning and at ITESO who are seeking to learn more about a different culture and improve their Spanish or English.
ABOUT CULTURAL BUDDIES
The program is open to college students at universities and community colleges who are enrolled in Spanish classes or seeking to improve their Spanish and are interested in learning more about Mexican culture. Students at ITESO are enrolled in English As A Second Language classes and are participating in Cultural Buddies to improve their English and learn more about American culture. Once a month, Cultural Buddies will meet online to teach each other. Global Gateways and ITESO will provide the schedule and curriculum for the meet ups. The meet ups will not last longer than 90 minutes. Both Global Gateways and ITESO will have facilitators present to answer any questions and ensure the success of the meet ups.
Potential Cultural Buddies must:
- Be enrolled at a two or four year college / university
- Have at least a 2.7 GPA
- Be in good standing with their university (can not be on academic or disciplinary probation)
- Have completed at least one semester
After successfully completing the program, American Cultural Buddies will earn:
- $500 scholarship towards Global Gateways’ summer (2021) Spanish Language & Cultural Study Abroad program in Guadalajara
- A certificate of Cultural Competency from ITESO University
- Community service hours (must be approved and accepted by individual school)
Deadline to Apply: November 15th
Only accepting 12 Cultural Buddies